The Sophie Update
I've been stressing since last week about blood test results for the pup and honestly don't want to think about it anymore because I'm so fucking fried and have All The Things To Do That Don't Include Blogging, but a) a lot of people still ask what's up because you care (thank you), b) many of you donated (thank you) and I want you to know where your money is going, and c) many of you are animal people and might have suggestions.
So here we go (it's long).
Early May: Soph had two accidents within three days, but my bunny was having tumor removal surgery and it slipped my mind.
May 13: Sophie had like four accidents in one day, despite the fact that I take her out every 4-5 hours.
May 14: Sophie went to the vet for an emergency. I eventually said to just do whatever and fix her no matter the cost, even though it was my rent money. They found blood clots in her urine, xray showed no sign of stones, and they took blood. Sent her home with antibiotics pending test results. (I took her out once an hour for several days, sleeping no more than three hours at night before taking her out again, because I am teh best mom EVAR.)
May 15 (her birthday): Sophie felt a LOT better on her antibiotics. Bloodwork came back to say her kidney levels were fine but liver values were high--thought to be a separate issue from the urinary tract infection.
May 17: We pushed the big red button for Sophie. Within three days, YOU GUYS (not me--my reach is nowhere near that vast) had raised $1250. And I cried a million tears of shock and honor and got sappy and we'll pretend that didn't happen.
May 29 (I think): Second test to check to see if her liver is working. (Also heartworm--that's fine and she's one those drugs for the season.)
Early June: Second urine test to see if the infection was gone (looks good).
June 14: Second senior blood panel to check her liver values again.
I talked to the vet about those results today: her liver values *are* higher.
So this means there's something wrong and we have to figure out what. Good news is that we already know her liver still works, but that basically means it just hasn't shut down yet--so we have to solve the other problem here before things get bad.
She shows no other symptoms of liver disease thus far. The vet said Cushing's was a possibility (I looked into it--there are a few other symptoms I'll mention to her 'cause it might fit, including her allergies weren't as bad this past time, but anyway) though initially she didn't think so. She's going to speak to a specialist to see if there are other things we can test for before the ultrasound, since she knows even though I have the money my income is limited anyway. So I have a few days to think about that (I'm not: if she needs it, she gets it).
That's where we are with that.
The vet is ordering me some supplements to start her on that will be good for her liver. I'm also looking into some liver-friendly foods, both commercial diets and homemade ones.
And now I turn it over to you.
Anyone with experience? Suggestions? Questions I should ask? Things I should try? Anyone make their own dog food or go with prescription diets?
Gimme a shout!
(ETA: I'm trying to chip in where I can to fundraisers atm--pay it forward and all that--so please check out to Vampire Book Club's Books Fighting Cancer fundraiser. http://vampirebookclub.net/books-fighting-cancer-charity-auctions/ Lots of signed books, including a print set of the Zara books so far--including Exhumed when it's released.)